Premier League, Mon, 8pm, Sky Sports 1
If you were one of the lucky few to witness the Community Shield, you’ll probably be hesitant to park yourself in front of the TV for this one. There’s no promise of goals, but it’s always fun watching Fergie descend into an angry rage as his team struggle to take anything away from the fortress/dilapidated shed that is Fratton Park. Everything points to a disappointing Bank Holiday weekend for the reigning champions. Here’s why…
1. Manchester United have only won one of their last five league visits to Fratton Park, losing on three occasions and drawing once.
2. Ferguson’s men have failed to score in their last two meetings with Portsmouth, losing 1-0 in the FA Cup and playing out a 0-0 draw in the Community Shield.
3. United began last season with a home draw, before securing a point at Portsmouth in their second league contest. Ferguson’s men drew at home on the opening day of this campaign.
4. In the previous two seasons, Pompey have won two, drawn five and lost just one of their eight league contests with the top four clubs at Fratton Park.
5. chickendinner superfact: While Cristiano Ronaldo only missed four Premier League games last season, Manchester United lost twice and scored just twice in his absence. Ronaldo will be on the sidelines until at least September.
6. Only once in their previous ten campaigns have Portsmouth lost both of their first two league fixtures. Portsmouth lost 4-0 at Stamford Bridge on the opening day this season.
Some more terribly useful betting information…
» The last four league and cup meetings between the sides produced a total of just four goals, each of which saw fewer than 2.5 goals.
» Manchester United have lead at half time in six of their last seven league encounters with Portsmouth.
» Jermain Defoe scored eight times in twelve games for Portsmouth last season, netting the first goal on four occasions. The diminutive striker has scored three career goals against United.