Sunderland/ Newcastle, Sat, 12.45, Sky Sports 1
With Newcastle on the ropes, Sunderland know this is their best chance in eight years to finish above their fierce rivals. However, for the first time in months, Newcastle have started putting up a fight and they are likely to pack an even bigger punch with Joey Barton back in the squad.
Here’s why the folks at chickendinner believe Joe Kinnear is going to pick up his first win as Newcastle boss:
1. Newcastle are unbeaten in their last nine clashes with Sunderland.
2. Sunderland have never beaten Newcastle at the Stadium of Light. Their last home victory over them came back in 1980.
3. Newcastle have won on three of their last four visits to Wearside and have scored on their last nine, which is ominous for Sunderland, who have failed to score in three of their last five home games.
4. Sunderland already lost 3-0 at home this season to the Manchester City team that Newcastle came minutes away from beating on Monday.
5. Joey Barton has faced Sunderland four times with Manchester City and Newcastle and has never lost, winning on three occasions.
More terribly useful betting information
» Seven of the last nine Tyne-Wear derbies have contained less than 2.5 goals and both exceptions were in the 2005-06 season.
» Newcastle’s last eight games have contained three goals or more while four of Sunderland’s last five league games have featured under 2.5.
» Joe Kinnear’s side may have to come from behind – they have conceded the first goal in each of their last seven games. Boylesports offer 16/1 on Newcastle winning from behind.