Without mentioning the fact they thought this was a good idea…
Fulham are the latest club hoping to make money from West Ham’s decision to compensate Sheffield United. According to The Independent. they will launch a legal claim on the basis that were it not for Carlos Tevez, they would have finished above the Hammers and would therefore have made an extra £700,000 in prize money.
Here are five flaws that The Spoiler has found in Fulham’s argument:
1) Fellow compensation-seeker Neil Warnock believes Fulham would have been relegated that season if Rafael Benitez hadn’t fielded reserves against them in the penultimate game of the season. Warnock has said since: “Maybe Rafa gets a yearly hamper from Harrods for his team selections.” That was Fulham’s only win from their final twelve games.
2) Carlos Tevez lasted only 13 minutes against them that season before getting injured at Craven Cottage. His replacement Bobby Zamora, West Ham’s top scorer that season, scored. Using Lord Griffiths magic calculator, it could be argued that the game may have finished 3-2 to the hosts had Zamora not replaced Tevez, a result which would have seen Fulham finish above West Ham
3) As Fulham did not directly suffer from Tevez’s presence, their claim appears to be based on the belief that West Ham should have been deducted at least two points. There is no precedent which suggests that punishment should have been given in relation to the rules they breached.
4) The Cottagers have since signed Paul Konchesky, John Pantsil and Zamora, who were all members of West Ham’s 2006-07 squad. Therefore Fulham mustn’t believe the myth that Tevez was a one-man team that season.
5) Since gaining promotion in 2005, West Ham have never finished below Fulham so there is no reason to believe 2006-07 was unique.
More from The Spoiler
Tagged With : Bobby Zamora • Carlos Tevez • Compensation • Fulham • Harrods • John Pantsil • Lawrie Sanchez • Les Reed • Lord Griffiths • Neil Warnock • Paul Konchesky • Points Deduction • rafael benitez • Sheffield United • West Ham